Heat exchanger is a device that is used for transmission of thermal energy between two or more fluids. They are widely used in space heating, refrigeration, air conditioning, power plants, chemical plants, petrochemical plants, petroleum refineries, natural gas processing and sewage treatment.
Types of Heat exchangers:
* Shell and tube heat exchangers
* Plate heat exchangers
* Air cooled heat exchangers
* Direct contact heat exchangers
* Spiral heat exchangers
* Extended surface heat exchangers
* Fired heaters
* Agitated vessels
Out of these, shell and tube heat exchangers are most commonly used in most of the petroleum, chemical, oil and gas and food processing industries.
Advantages of Shell and tube heat exchangers:
The configuration gives a large surface area in a small volume.
* Good mechanical layout: a good shape for pressure operation.
* Uses well-established fabrication techniques.Can be constructed from a wide range of materials.
* Easily cleaned.
* Well-established design procedures.
Heat exchanger design:
Heat exchanger design is further classified into two types. They are as follows,
Heat exchanger THERMAL DESIGN
Heat exchanger MECHANICAL DESIGN
Now let us see the basics of shell and tube heat exchanger design in the forthcoming chapters